Year - 1833
St. Malachy’s College & The O’Laverty Library
028 9074 8285
- Oldest Catholic grammar school in Northern Ireland, founded 1833;
- Governed by a voluntary Board, including representatives from the Department of Education, staff, and parents; staff of c.110, including archivist leading the O’Laverty Library project.
- O’Laverty Library, converted from classroom in 1872; used as meeting room for Gaelic League members in 1920s; contains libraries of key 19th century Belfast figures, eg Bishop Cornelius Denvir and James O’Laverty; College Chapel houses one of the finest collections of stained glass in Northern Ireland; B1 listed.
- Stop 10 on the North Belfast Heritage Trail (next stop Carnegie Old Park Library).