Year - 1904
UniTorah: Annesley Street Synagogue
Annesley Street

INFO

  • Date: 1904.
  • Architect: Young & Mackenzie
  • Style: 'Round-Arches' (Rundbogenstil) Style
  • Extensions: Small extensions in 1928 for facilities
  • Relationships: The foundation stone was laid by Lady Jaffe, Mayoress of Belfast. Otto Jaffe paid for its construction.
  • Use: Northern Ireland's oldest synagogue. Remained in use until 1965. It was then taken over by the Mater Hosptial for use as a physiotherapy gym.
  • Notable: Otto & Lady Jaffe, Chief Rabbi Yitzhak (Isaac) Herzog, Chaim Herzog.
  • Stop 9 on the North Belfast Heritage Trail (next stop St Malachy's College and The O'Laverty Library).

Click to see full screen

PROJECTS