Year - 1934
Redeemer Central: Donegall Street Congregational Church
Donegall Street


  • Date: A Congregational church was founded on the site in 1804, known as the 'Tabernacle'. The current building dates from 1934.
  • Architect: 1804- James Harper. 1934- John Seeds.
  • Style: Gothic Revival
  • History: The first church was built in 1804. Frederick Douglass gave an address to the people of Belfast in this church in 1845. A new church was built in 1858. It was severely damaged by a fire in 1931 and a the current building constructed in 1934. The church was damaged during the Belfast Blitz and a rose window installed during repairs.
  • Relationships: William Raffles Brown (architect of the church 1858-1931) submitted plans to design the Albert Memorial Clock. Redeemer Central have strong relationships with other organisations in the community, including fellow cluster member, St Patrick's Church
  • Use: Formerly a place of worship as a Congregational Church. A place of worship with Redeemer Central since 2012. Base for projects such as "The Long Table" & "Farmbox", as well as community events.
  • Notable: Reverand White, Frederick Douglass, David Sloan, James Alexander Graham.
  • Stop 2 on the North Belfast Heritage Trail (next stop St Patrick's School on Donegall St).

Click to see full screen